Concrete 2021 Abstracts Opening September 2020
The Program Committee welcomes the submission of abstracts for the Concrete Institute of Australia’s Biennial National Conference to be held at the Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre, Perth, Western Australia from 5-8 September 2021. If you are involved in Concrete research, we urge you to submit an abstract for presentation consideration.
|Friday 4 September 2020||Abstracts Open|
|Tuesday 1 December 2020||Abstracts Close|
|Monday 1 February 2021||Abstract Author Notifications|
|Tuesday 2 February 2021||Full Papers Open|
|Thursday 15 April 2021||Full Papers Close|
|Monday 31 May 2021||Full Paper Author Notifications|
|Wednesday 30 June 2021||Author Registration Deadline|
- Alkali-activated and Geopolymer Concretes
- Asset Management – inspection, monitoring, remaining and extending life
- Bridges and Underpasses – design, inspections, maintenance, failure
- Buildings – design, inspections, maintenance, defects, compliance, certification
- Case Studies and Major Projects
- Concrete Materials – cement, SCM’s, admixtures, aggregates, etc
- Concrete Design – shear and torsion, axial, bending, models, non-linear analysis etc
- Concrete Properties – shrinkage, creep, strength, heat of hydration
- Design for Extreme Events – siesmic, fire, blast, cyclone, climate change
- Digital Innovations in Concrete – AI, 3D printing, BIM, design process, site investigations, monitoring, equipment, data management, automation, optimisation
- Durability – modelling, cracking, design, monitoring in construction and operation, extended life
- High Performance Concrete – UHPC, cementitious composites, SCC and viscosity modified etc.
- Inspection and Testing – visual scanning, thermography, drones, temperature and maturity monitoring, etc.
- Precast, Prefabricated and Modular Concrete
- Reinforcement, stressing tendons, fibres, other reinforcing
- Repair and Retrofit – materials, methods, historic structures, strengthening
- Standards, Specifications, Recommended Practices, Model Codes
- Sustainability – repurpose, reuse and recycle
- Tunnels, Underground and Foundation Structures – design, construction, site investigations, monitoring
- Water and Marine Infrastructure – design, construction, maintenace
Opening September 2020
Modes of Presentation
At the time of submission, you will be asked to select your preferred mode of presentation. However, not all requests can be accommodated, and the final mode of your presentation will be selected by the Program Committee. Every effort will be made to honour poster only presentation requests. The Concrete 2021 program will include presentations in the following modes:
The number of Oral Presentations we can accommodate in the program is limited and will be selected by the Organising Committee in consultation with Session Chairs and/or the Program Committee. Their duration will be advised to the presenters at the time of selection.
Digital Poster Presentation
The Digital Poster Presentations will be displayed throughout the Conference on large touch screens. Digital Poster presentations will be allocated to specific sessions to be advised at the time of selection.
Abstract Submission Instructions
Step 1: Click the ‘Submit Abstract’ button (Button currently inactive).
Step 2: You will be directed to the submission site to create an account. Once an account is created, please verify the account by clicking on the link provided via the account verification email sent to your nominated email address. (please note that you may take some time to receive the email). If you have submitted an abstract for the 2019 Concrete Conference, you will be able to login using your previous login details. If you forgot your password, users can reset the password from the login page.
Step 3: Log in to your account after it has been verified using your email address as username and nominated password. Click on the ‘Submit Abstract’ button to begin submitting your abstract.
Step 4: Write your abstract following the Abstract Format & Layout Guidelines below.
Authors will be able to edit their profile, which was generated when an author account was created, by clicking on the ‘edit’ button under the Author(s) field section.
Complete all other required fields.
Please direct any questions to the Concrete Conference Managers firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preparing to Submit an Abstract
All abstracts must be submitted online via the Conference Abstract Portal.
- Presenters must disclose any potential conflict of interest.
- The Organising Committee reserves the right to reject submitted abstracts and to reclassify abstracts submitted to a particular theme into a different theme.
- Abstracts must be submitted via the online abstract submission site. Faxes, photocopies or emailed copies will not be accepted.
- You must receive the approval of all co-authors before including their names on the abstract.
- Abstracts will be reviewed after the submission deadline of Tuesday 1 December 2020. Presenters are not permitted to modify their abstracts after this date.
- You may withdraw your abstract at any time until 1 December 2020, without notifying the Conference Managers, through the abstract submission site. Abstracts withdrawn after 1 December 2020, must be withdrawn using the ‘Contact Conference Manager’ function via the abstract submission portal. Requests not submitted via the portal will not be considered.
All presenters must agree to the following conditions when submitting an abstract:
- Abstracts will be made available in electronic format to meeting participants only.
- Abstracts will be made available in print materials for the Conference.
- Agree to pre-register for the meeting and pay the appropriate registration fee by the presenter pre-registration deadline of Wednesday 30 June 2021. Failure to pre-register by this date will result in the following:
– The abstract will be automatically withdrawn from the Program Book and the Online Abstract System.
– The submitter will not be allowed to present their abstract at the Conference.
- Abstracts must be submitted via the submission portal provided on the Concrete website.
- Abstracts should take the form of a total of 250 words (this is in relation to the abstract only. Title and Authors are in addition to the word limit).
- Authors are entered separately within the abstract submission portal and will format automatically to the required standard. NOTE: The order of the authors entered in the portal will be reflected in final publications
- The system will automatically format your abstract, so there is no font or size guideline.
- The abstract should briefly outline the key features, results and conclusions of the work in line with the selected theme.
- Use standard abbreviations only. Within the body of the abstract, when using abbreviations spell out the name in full at the first mention and follow with the abbreviation in parenthesis. Abbreviations may be used in the title, provided the name in full is outlined in the body of the abstract.
- Do not include tables, figures or photos.
- Abstracts must be free of typographical and grammatical errors.
- You will be asked to provide a short biography (up to 150 words) and photo with your submission for the presenting author.
- You will be asked to nominate your preference for digital poster or oral presentation.
- Please include degrees or professional titles (e.g. Dr, Prof., etc).
It is the author’s responsibility to ensure the title, author and affiliation details entered in the paper submission site are correct and exactly as they should be published on the abstract.
Each abstract will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Clarity: Clarity of the paper with respect to its objectives, method, (expected) findings and their significance.
- Quality: Quality of the paper with respect to its significance and relevance to the conference themes.
- Anticipated interest to the conference attendees: Likely degree of interest in the paper to the conference attendees.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I know if my abstract was successfully received? If there are any incomplete steps, you will not be able to submit your abstract. You will be able to view a proof of your abstract when you click on the Submit button. You will also receive a confirmation email from the system following successful submission of your abstract.
- Is there a word limit imposed on abstract titles? No.
- Is there a word limit imposed on abstract text? Yes, main abstract text must not exceed 250 words. The word count does not include the title, authors’ names or their affiliations.
- Can I change my selected theme after I complete my submission? Yes, you may return to your submission at any time prior to the abstract submission deadline to change the selected theme. Be sure to save your changes and resubmit your abstract.
- What is the abstract deadline? 1 December 2020 (11:59 p.m. AWST).
- Can I make changes to my abstract text after the deadline? No. No change is allowed after the deadline.
- If I forget to add an author, can I do so after the abstract deadline? Yes, you can still add an author if necessary, by emailing the Conference Managers. However, please make every attempt to add all authors during the abstract submission.
- Can I submit more than one abstract presenter? Concrete 2021 permits authors to submit as many abstract as they like. Please note however that each presenter may present a maximum of 2 abstracts at the Conference.
- When I submit my abstract, how do I indicate my mode preference (oral or poster)? You will be asked to indicate your preference at the time of submission. While every attempt will be made to meet your preference, the number of abstracts that can be selected for oral presentation is limited. The Organising Committee will make the final decision regarding presentation type.
- Is there a limit on the number of co-authors that I can add to my abstract? No.